Stockton State Hospital was built in Stockton in 1851 on a 100 acre (0.40 km) site donated by Captain Charles Maria Weber. The existing medical facilities could not cope with the treatment of the large number of people with mental and emotional disorders caused by the California Gold Rush, so it was decided to create the first public mental hospital. Stockton State Hospital is ranked 1016 on the California Historical Heritage List. On May 17, 1853, the Stockton General Medical Center became the California State Mental Hospital. The building currently houses the Stanislav-Stockton Center of California State University. Also on the site is a cemetery for patients who died here.